Smoky Homes is an exciting NEW Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) project for primary aged pupils
The project provides a real-life context for pupils to explore the
health and environmental problems faced by the 3 billion people globally
who cook on open fires or traditional cook stoves.
It can be used to deliver parts of the UK's Science and Design and Technology curriculum or an enrichment day.
The project offers opportunities for pupils to work in groups to:
Engage with a range of images and videos that introduce the context and people of Nepal
Design and model their ideas for improved cook stoves and/or stove hoods.
The resource comprises:
- Teacher's notes: A guide to supporting teachers to deliver the Smoky Homes project
- PowerPoint presentation: A presentation to support teachers work through the project
- What's the problem? A photograph based starter activity that sets the scene for the project in Nepal
- What is important to the community? A sheet which helps pupils to develop design criteria based on people's needs.
- Project sheets for pupils to capture their research, design ideas and evaluation activities
- A short quiz for pupils to test their understanding of key facts
Visit the Practical action download page>